Sunday, March 23, 2008

Steve Poltz: Talented independent singer/songwriter

If you've seen the great music documentary "Before the Music Dies" you might remember a charismatic singer/songwriter, Steven Joseph Joshua Poltz, that speaks about how he co-wrote Jewel's hit "You Were Meant For Me." After watching him and liking his sense-of-humor, songwriting, and love for writing and performing I wanted to hear more of his music. After googling his name I found his website and is stage name of Steve Poltz.
(Here's an interesting video of him explaining the story behind "You Were Meant For Me." It's the 1st of 3 parts. Who ever would have guessed that the longest running song in the history of the Billboard Top 100 was written during a Mexican drug bust?)


I felt good about supporting a talented musician that absolutely loves what he does and doing my little part to help him succeed. I honestly believe that by him being able to make a modest living sharing his music with the world he considers himself successful. And those are the type of talented musicians that I love to support. So, I got a number of his cds from his webpage (www.poltz.com).

I have three favorite songs that's I'm going to share in this update.

Steve Poltz - "A Street Fighter's Face" (off his 2008 cd "Traveling")

Here's a great song about a marine that goes out to war in Iraq and the stuff that he goes through. The song is upbeat and happy sounding, but gives a story of the life of a soldier that isn't usually heard. I'm not sure why a marine would be in a jeep, but it's a great song nonetheless.

Steve Poltz - "Rains (w/ AJ Croce)" (off his 2008 cd "Traveling")
Here's a song with the son of one of my favorite songwriters of all time, Jim Croce. If Jack Johnson's "Flake" could break through mainstream radio, why not this?

Steve Poltz - "You Remind Me" (off his 2003 cd "Chinese Vacation")
A good catchy song that's better than most of the stuff that they play on radio.

If you like these then please support him and spread the word about him. You can find him on myspace at www.myspace.com/stevepoltz

I gotta catch this guy next time he comes to the Bay Area...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd like to congratulate you for such a great made site!
Just thought this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/sesame-street-party-supplies.html]sesame street Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!