Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shove This Jay-Oh-Bee

This update is dedicated to all of my friends that work for the city of Sacramento that are either losing their job or being displaced.

This classic-to-me song is a widely hated-on song by Canibus off of the Office Space soundtrack. (Which also gave us the hood-classic "Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta" by the Geto Boys.) At the time this song came out (1999) Canibus was one of the most ferocious battle rappers in the rap game. He was abusing every mix-tape he was on and rapping circles around anyone he did a track with (Redman on "Beasts From the East" and Common "Making a Name For Ourselves" to name a few). He had a loyal following off of his creative and descriptive lyrics and his intricate rhyme patterns.

I feel that people hated this song for what it wasn't (a battle rap song) and didn't give it a chance to like it for what it was (a extremely funny song about a guy quitting his job). I've never quit a job on bad terms, but I can imagine if I ever do I will bust out this song and blast it cause it'll describe exactly how I feel.

Canibus gives a very descriptive and humorous tale of an office worker without sacrificing his slick wordplay. Biz Markie adds his trademark funny sing-style chorus that fits the light mood of the track perfectly. Alone the track is nothing special, but like the Bizmark chorus, it fits.



[Canibus]
People get hired
Drink coffee to stay wired
So they don't get tired, sleep late, and get fired

[Biz Markie]
You came in late, you already ate,
nowww, you wanna take a lunch break!??!

[Canibus]
Ay, yo bust it, ain't no need to discuss it
Just take this job and shove it, right between your buttocks

[Biz Markie]
Take this job and shove it
I ain't workin here no more...

If there's ever been another song to describe a typical office this perfectly I haven't heard it. Of course I'm not talking about my office. I like my office, cause my office isn't typical. Ummmmm-Yeeeeaaahhhh...

No comments: